More Light More Power: 150 Years of Shoreditch Town Hall
Shoreditch Town Hall recently received a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) Sharing Heritage grant to support More Light, More Power: 150 Years of Shoreditch Town Hall, a project to celebrate the building’s 150th anniversary.
Click here to visit our dedicated website to learn more about the project
To mark the occasion, Shoreditch Town Hall produced a commemorative book to document the former civic building’s rich history: from its roots in 19th century progressive politics, to its role in East London working class culture as a music hall and boxing venue; from community-led campaigns to save the building, to its contemporary usage as an arts and events space.
The project also includes a temporary exhibition of photos and materials in a number of spaces inside the building, as well as permanent displays to help people understand and appreciate its heritage.
The History of Shoreditch Town Hall
Designed by Caesar Augustus Long and built on the site of the old Fuller’s Hospital, Shoreditch Town Hall opened in 1866 as the Vestry Hall for Shoreditch. With its high-coved ceilings, Doric columns, large chandeliers and stained glass windows the Vestry Hall (now known as the Council Chamber) was thought of as “the grandest Vestry Hall in London”.
Throughout the building the motto ‘More Light, More Power’ can be seen beneath the crest of Shoreditch. This motto, together with the statue of Progress on the front of the tower, commemorates the reputation that the Vestry, (later the Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch), had as a progressive local government, particularly in its provision of electric power to the borough. From the Vestry of St Leonard Shoreditch Electric Light Station, later known as the Shoreditch Borough Refuse Destructor and Generating Station and now as The Circus Space, the borough’s rubbish was burnt to provide steam for the generator sending electricity throughout the borough. The waste heat from the fires was used to heat the public baths. The motto for the Electric Light Station was ‘Out of dust, light and power’. The Town Hall’s tower stood as a beacon shining light over the borough. Today the statue of Progress proudly holds aloft a burning torch in commemoration.
1866 - 1965
From its earliest days Shoreditch Town Hall was at the heart of civic life, managing all aspects of the parish, one of the densest in Europe, including law and order and the recording of births, marriages and deaths.
On 12 November 1888 the Vestry held the widely reported inquest into the murder of Jack the Ripper’s last victim Mary Kelly. A verdict of ‘wilful murder against some person or persons unknown’ was lodged by the Jury and no further inquests took place. A full transcript of the inquest can be found online.
In 1902 William Hunt led a series of expansions, including the addition of the large Assembly Hall, office accommodation, a new tower and the Caretaker’s Cottage. Following a fire in 1904, which led to extensive damage to the Assembly Hall and Council Chamber roof, the new extended Assembly Hall was opened in 1907.
As well as being a centre for civic duties the Town Hall provided entertainment for the borough in the Assembly Hall, packing the building with variety and music acts from across the land. In 1933 the Shoreditch Housing Association held a Shakespeare Festival to raise funds for a local housing estate. The festival attracted the Bishop of Stepney and HRH The Princess Royal with a matinee of ‘The Taming of the Shrew’ being followed by a procession down Curtain Road to the site of the Curtain Theatre.
In 1938 an expansion to the Town Hall saw the addition of our Committee Rooms and the Red Brick Annexe (sold to fund the restoration of the building). The Town Hall now has a floor space of over 48,000sq.ft.
Throughout the Second World War the Town Hall acted once more as a beacon for the borough. It was here people would come to be evacuated to the country and for help and support when the blitz came to East London. During War Week the borough of Shoreditch raised 3million in war savings. Due to its incredible generosity the borough became associated with HMS Thrasher (N-87), a submarine based in the Mediterranean. Following an attack on 16th February 1942 HMS Thrasher was awarded two Victoria Crosses and a Distinguished Service Order for its commanding officer Lt. H.S. Mackenzie. On their return to the United Kingdom the Mayor of Shoreditch held a reception for the ship’s company at which Lt. Mackenzie was awarded freedom of the borough. For more information visit the Imperial War Museum archive.
In 1965 Shoreditch Town Hall ceased to be a centre of municipal administration, when the boroughs of Shoreditch and Stoke Newington merged with Hackney to form the larger London Borough of Hackney.
1965 – 1996
In the 1960s the Town Hall’s Assembly Hall became one of the East End’s premier boxing venues until in 1969 when, after a hard-hitting fight against Joe Bugner, the tragic death of Trinidadian boxer Ulric Regis led to a ban on boxing throughout Hackney.
Gradually the Town Hall began to fall into disrepair, only experiencing a brief but colourful revival in the 1990s when the now infamous Whirl-Y-Gig trance nights descended on the Assembly Hall on a weekly basis. Sadly, the building was placed on English Heritage’s Buildings at Risk register in 1996.
1997 – 2012
Shoreditch Town Hall Trust was formed in 1997 with a mission to restore the decaying fabric of the building and regenerate its role as a commercial and community resource.
In 2002 the Trust obtained a 99-year lease from the London Borough of Hackney and commissioned the first phase of a large-scale restoration of the building.
Following major structural renovations and restoration works the building reopened in 2004 and has since this time continued to attract a diverse and exciting range of hire clients. The Town Hall has been home to weddings, civil partnerships, receptions, award shows, meetings, workshops, concerts, rehearsals, high-profile events, birthdays, fairs, dinners, graduations, film shoots, major fundraisers, music videos, exhibitions, tv filming and much, much more.
Support of projects such as The New World Order, the Barbican / Hydrocracker’s site sensitive interpretation of Harold Pinter and Mind Over Matter, an exhibition and symposium supported by the Wellcome Collection, demonstrate and exciting movement in the venue’s approach towards proactive and artistically driven future programming.