DARE Festival is all about bringing audiences and artists together. While the building is closed, Upstart Theatre has created an online space designed to look like The Ditch – the atmospheric basement of Shoreditch Town Hall – so you can access the festival digitally. Here, audiences can explore, mingle and have fun together, as well as experience six new pieces of playable theatre and more. Keep reading to find out how this works.
All ticket holders should have received an email about accessing the performances. PLEASE CHECK YOU JUNK FOLDER if you have not received one yet. Alternatively, email email@example.com or call 0207 739 6176.
The festival will be hosted on the online platform Gather.town, where you’ll be able to use an ‘avatar’ – a video-game style character – to freely move around the virtual space and explore the shows, installations and games. As you explore the space, you’ll see other people too: the DARE artists, the festival team, and your fellow audience members. You will be sent further details on how to access Gather nearer the time.
Some of the shows and events you have purchased tickets for will be taking place on Zoom, which you’ll be prompted to click through to once you’re in Gather. Your ticket gives you access to the show(s) you have booked to see, the Gather space across all three days of the Festival, and additional experiences, installations and games that are a part of the Festival.
For a quick breakdown, watch this handy video:
If this is your first time using Zoom, we suggest that you go to this page and download the free app onto your computer. (It’s possible to access Zoom within your web browser, but we don’t recommend this). Once you’ve downloaded the software, you’re ready to go! When you open Zoom on the day it may ask you to ‘log in’, but you don’t need to do this.
To watch the show when you’re in Gather on the day, go to the Theatre space by following the red line – this is where most of the ticketed shows will be taking place. Press the X key on your keyboard and Gather will open a browser tab that says ‘to enter, click this external link’. Then just follow the instructions in the new browser tab, and you’re in the show.
If you have purchased a ticket for the show you are trying to watch, you will be allowed access to the Zoom. If you have not purchased a ticket, you will be directed back to the Shoreditch Town Hall website where you can buy one. Please make sure your Zoom name is the same as the one you used to book your ticket.
If you have booked tickets for The Think Tank
You will also need to downloaded the Slido App onto a device before it begins. You can access this via IOS or android and you can also operate the program from your laptop on an internet browser if you go to www.sli.do. Once you’re in Gather, you’ll be sent the codeword to access Slido.
If you have booked tickets for The Isthmus Project
You will need to use the platform Wonder which works best on Firefox and Chrome, so please make sure you are using either of those browsers. Once you’re in Gather, you’ll be sent the link to access Wonder. You’ll be asked to enter a password, which will be given to you ahead of show.
Devices and Access
Gather is a visual-based programme which works best on a laptop or desktop computer, rather than a phone or a tablet. If you don’t have access to a laptop or desktop computer, or you have any other needs which might prevent you using Gather, please contact Shoreditch Town Hall’s box office team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Captions are available for: The Fourteenth Stop, The Learning Lottery, The Think Tank, Cart Noodle Show
Logging In on the Day
On the day of your visit to DARE Festival, you’ll be sent an email that contains a link to access Gather.town. We recommend that you arrive at least ten minutes before the start of your show.
You’ll be taken to a screen that asks you a few simple questions to get you started. First of all, Gather will ask your computer for permissions to use your microphone and camera – just click ‘allow’. You can turn your camera and microphone off at any time just by clicking on the icons at the bottom of your screen. You’ll then be asked to enter your name, and you can then just hit ‘Join the Gathering’ to enter our virtual Ditch. Here, you’ll be able to make changes to your avatar too if you want to!
Before or After the show
You’re welcome to explore our online Ditch for as long as you like. To go back to Gather after you show, just open the Gather tab on your browser and click the ‘Re-enter’ button. You’ll re-appear in the Gather space exactly where you left it. Here are some fun things you can do:
– From the main foyer area, follow the orange line to Meet the Artists.
– Follow the blue line to the Gallery to experience theatre company ThisEgg’s installation.
– Follow the green line to the Games Room to take part in digital games and experiences from Upstart Theatre.
– If you want to chat to your friends and fellow audience members, head to the Snug area to grab a comfy chair, where you’ll also find some things to read and listen to.
Exploring DARE Festival
Gather will provide its own tutorial, but here are a few helpful hints:
– You can move around the space using the arrow keys or the WASD letter keys on your keyboard.
– At various times, a message will appear on the bottom of your screen inviting you to interact with objects, enter other spaces, and so on. Press the letter X on your keyboard to interact with these. Sometimes these will take you to another web page, or a Zoom call. Other times, they’ll open a window within Gather itself. There’s a small X on the top right of each window – click it to close it, or press X on your keyboard again.
– As you get closer to other people’s avatars, you’ll be able to see them on a video screen, and they’ll be able to see you. You can turn your camera and microphone on and off using the camera and microphone buttons under the picture of you in the bottom right of your screen.
– When an usher announces your show, please follow the red line to go to the Theatre. When you get there, just hit X on your keyboard when prompted to enter your show. Please make sure your Zoom name is the same as the one you used to book your ticket.
– If you need help at any time, click the Chat icon (two little speech bubbles) on the left of your screen to talk to an usher. Stay where you are, and one of our team will come and help you out as soon as possible.